Man pleads guilty in mall attack against child

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) – The man accused of throwing a 5-year-old boy from a third-floor balcony at the Mall of America has pleaded guilty to attempted premeditated first-degree murder and faces 19 years in prison.

Emmanuel Aranda, of Minneapolis, admitted his guilt as part of a plea agreement Tuesday. Prosecutors agreed not to pursue aggravated circumstances that could have meant an additional year in prison for Aranda.

Authorities said earlier that Aranda told them he went to the mall on April 12 “looking for someone to kill” and chose the boy at random.
The child suffered head trauma and multiple broken bones but survived. The family says he continues to heal.

05-15-2019