Brookings County Services Still Available During Closure
Brookings County continues to staff their offices during the closure of County facilities.
Here is a list of services and how they are being provided:
- The Sheriff’s Department continues to operate and provide services. Please call 605-696-8300 with any questions.
- To renew your tags for license plates, you can renew online at https://dor.sd.gov/individuals/motor-vehicle/, drop off your payment in the drop-box located on the west side of the Government Center or you can mail in your payment.
- Tax payments can be placed in the drop-box located on the west side of the Government Center, paid through the County’s website at https://www.brookingscountysd.gov/414/Pay-Taxes-Online or they can be mailed.
- To take out a petition to run for office or to file a petition, please call the Finance Office at 605-696-8250 to make an appointment.
- To file an Elderly Tax Freeze application, please call the Finance Office at 605-696-8250 to make an appointment or mail the application in.
- To file township paperwork, please call the Finance Office at 605-696-8250 to make an appointment or mail paperwork in.
- The address for the Finance Office to mail any of the above items is:
Brookings County Finance Office
520 3rd Street, Suite 100
Brookings, SD 57006
- Please call or email the Register of Deeds Office with any questions regarding South Dakota birth, marriage or death records, marriage licenses and Brookings County real estate document recordings. They can be reached at 605-696-8240 or by email at [email protected].
- If you have any questions regarding assessments, estimates, or appeals, contact the Equalization Office at 605-696-8220 or [email protected].
- If you have questions regarding building permits, conditional use applications, variance applications or plats, contact the County Development Office at 605-696-8350.
- The Veterans and Human Services Office is still processing claims. If you are in need of assistance please call 605-696-8260.
- The Disabled American Veterans (DAV) shuttle is running for veterans with appointments at the VA Clinic in Sioux Falls. Please call if you need a ride – 605-696-8260.
- If you have questions regarding pending court cases, please contact the State’s Attorney’s Office at 605-692-8606.
- Please call or email the Highway Department for questions at 605-696-8270 or [email protected].
The current plan is to reopen to the public at 8:00 AM on Monday, April 6th. However, this date is subject to change based on a reevaluation of current conditions.
Officials are aware that vehicle registration tags may lapse during this time. Area law enforcement will not be actively ticketing for expired tags for the next several weeks to provide citizens with extra time to renew their tags.
The County wants to thank citizens for their understanding and patience during this time as we work through this together. Our primary concern is the safety and health of our citizens and employees as we continue to monitor the quickly changing aspects of the Coronavirus pandemic.