Rural Brookings home damaged in kitchen fire

A home just north of Brookings is damaged in a kitchen fire early Monday morning.

Assistant Sheriff Scott Sebring says it happened shortly before 5:00 am at a residence located at 471st Avenue near 207th Street.

The fire started in the kitchen and all occupants were safely out of the home. A person at the scene was able to extinguish the fire before fire crews arrived. The fire is believed to have started while a resident was cooking food on the stove.

A damage amount is no known at this time, but Sebring says the structure is believed to
be livable.

The Brookings Fire Department and Brookings Ambulance also responded to the fire.

There were no injuries.


June 5, 2023