|Changes regarding North Campus Drive closure … and parking Friday.
BROOKINGS, S.D. – Oct. 23, 2019 – The City of Brookings and South Dakota State University have finalized parking and transportation details for Saturday’s ESPN GameDay broadcast and the Jackrabbits football Dakota Marker Football game scheduled to kickoff at 2 p.m.
ESPN GameDay is free to attend. Tickets are not required.
The following information is also posted on sdstate.edu and gojacks.com.
Fans planning to attend ESPN GameDay Broadcast:
- A park and ride shuttle service will begin at 5:30 a.m. from the Swiftel Center/Larson Ice Arena parking lots. Buses for drop-off will run until 9:30 a.m.
- Drop-off will occur east of the University Student Union. Fans will have about a 5-minute walk from the drop-off area to the broadcast location. Volunteers and signage will be on-site to direct people to the broadcast area.
- The University Student Union will open at 5 a.m. Einstein’s and Union Coffee will also open at 5 a.m. The university’s Starbucks location opens at 6 a.m. and the SDSU Dairy Bar opens at 8 a.m.
- Buses will begin returning fans from campus to the Swiftel OR downtown Brookings at 11 a.m. and continue until 12:30 p.m.
- Food trucks will be available on the south end of the College Green. Food trucks will operate from 7 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- There is limited parking available around campus (see map, which is attached). The light green lots are available for the ESPN GameDay broadcast on a first-come, first-serve basis. There is no fee to park in these lots. Parking restrictions will be enforced in these lots.
Things to note:
- Fans coming to the Swiftel Center and Larson Ice Arena off I-29 are encouraged to take the Brookings/6th Street Exit (No. 132). Fans with tickets for the game are being encouraged to take the Highway 14 Bypass Exit (No. 133).
- The Swiftel Center and Larson Ice Arena has around 1,200 parking spaces. Carpooling is encouraged.
- Buses will not be running from downtown to the Swiftel Center. Fans who travel downtown after the ESPN GameDay broadcast will need to find their own transportation back to the Swiftel Center. Lyft is a service available in Brookings.
- NO overnight parking at the Swiftel Center. Cars must be out of the lot by midnight.
- The university will have additional bike racks available on the south side of the Coughlin Campanile.
- Medary Avenue will be CLOSED from midnight to noon Saturday between 8th Street and 11th Street.
North Campus Drive
- North Campus Drive will be CLOSED Saturday. This is a change from normal football game-day procedures.
Fans Attending the Game
- Normal game-day paid and priority lots (see map) surrounding Dana J. Dykhouse Stadium will open at 6 a.m. Saturday.
- Game tickets will be required to enter the lots.
- The university’s normal tailgating policies will be in place. Tailgating will not be allowed in regard to alcohol consumption until 9 a.m.
ESPN GameDay Broadcast Details
- The location will be the South Dakota State University College Green located near the Coughlin Campanile.
- The show airs Saturday 8-11 a.m. Central, but live SportsCenter hits begin in the 6 a.m. hour.
- Alcohol will be prohibited on College Green during all College GameDay and ESPN-related events.
Information about The Pit
- Access to the pit area near the main stage is being finalized.
- People entering this area will be screened and must adhere to ESPN’s rules, which include:
- Screening will include bag checks, wanding and inspection of all signs.
- No food or drink allowed in the area;
- Sign restrictions include: no vulgar, political or religious signs; also, signs cannot promote outside brands or websites;
- No signs or flags on a stick;
- No pens, pencils, markers or dry erase boards;
- Throwing of objects is prohibited; and
- Space will be limited in the pit area, but there will be plenty of other space to enjoy the show and come and go as they please.
- ESPN will tape College Football Live from 2-2:30 p.m. CST. The show will air on ESPN2 at 3:30 p.m. CST.
- ESPN will also have activities, lawn games and giveaways at the College Green. Fans are encouraged to visit the area throughout the day. Again, no admission will be charged for any College GameDay activities.
- Fans attending Friday’s activities can park in the campus lots west of Medary Avenue or south of 8th Street. Medary Avenue runs on the west side of the College Green.
- The Brookings Area Chamber of Commerce is coordinating volunteers needed to help Saturday for College GameDay on campus.
- Volunteers are needed for two shifts: 5:30-8 a.m., as well as, from 8 -11 a.m.
- Volunteers on campus from 8 -11 a.m. will be on-site for the broadcast of GameDay.
- If you can volunteer for one or both of these shifts, please email Kelsey Doom at the Brookings Area Chamber of Commerce for details.